Want to keep the kids occupied and in the kitchen, then why not try this very common starter which is loved by all and which can be found in nearly every Chinese restaurant that you go too. If you are allergic to peanuts you can simply omit the peanut butter from the satay marinade and do not serve with the peanut dipping sauce.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, sliced quite thickly
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Mai Siam Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Wing Yip Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Wing Yip Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Wing Yip Cooking Shao Hsing Wine
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Wooden Skewers
- Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 can (200ml) Mai Siam Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Wing Yip Light Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 1. Add all ingredients to the chicken breast strips and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. You will notice that there is a lot of liquid in the bottom of the bowl, once the chicken has marinated you will notice that there is no liquid left as the chicken has absorbed it all.
- 2. Whilst the chicken is marinating, you can make the dipping sauce. If you are doing this recipe with children, make sure that they are supervised at all times, or do this part yourself. In a wok on a low heat add the peanut butter and soften. Then add the coconut milk and slowly incorporate together. Once thoroughly mixed add the light soy sauce and stir. This needs to be cooled to room temperature and then is ready to serve.
- 3. If you are making this recipe with children, please make sure that they are very careful with the skewers as they can very sharp. Once marinated and the skewers have been soaked, thread the chicken on the skewers by firmly holding the skewer near the top and carefully pushing it into the chicken. Make sure that the chicken is firmly on the skewer to ensure that it doesn't come off whilst cooking.
- 4. Once these have all been made, you can take them to the BBQ. They will take about 4-5 minutes on each side. Alternatively place under a hot grill for 4-5 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. Leave to cool for at least 1 minute before eating.