Prep Time : 01h 10
Cooking Time : 00h 15
Servings Number : 2 people
<p>There are many ways to prepare this popular Szechuan dish. Traditionally the beef is stir-fried in a wok over low heat until crispy. A quicker method to achieve the same results is to deep fry the beef and then stir- fry it with the vegetables. All the vegetables in this dish are to be cut into matchstick size pieces.</p>
- 228g lean beef (suggest topside or flank steak)
- 1 carrot (matchstick size pieces)
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 dried red chillies
- vegetable oil for deep frying (optional) or 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp roasted and ground Szechuan peppercorns (garnish)
- 1/2 tsp Wing Yip Sesame Oil (garnish)
- 1 tbsp Wing Yip Light Soya Sauce
- 1 tspz sugar
- 1/2 tbspz Wing Yip Shaohsing Wine
- 1/2 tspz Wing Yip Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp roasted and ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/2 tspz cornflour
- 1/2 tspz sugar
- pinch of salt
- 30ml water
- Lightly roast Szechuan peppercorns in a dry pan and grind in a pestle and mortar.
- Mix marinade ingredients and place in a bowl.
- Shred beef into strips, add to marinade and leave for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Place carrots and celery into separate bowls and mix in a pinch of salt into each. After half an hour, squeeze out any water that is discharged from the vegetables.
- Mix sauce ingredients and put aside.
- Half fill wok or deep fat fryer and heat oil to about 200 degrees C.
- Stir cornflour into the beef to coat well.
- Add beef carefully (in batches) into the hot and fry for about 4 minutes until the beef becomes crispy. Remove from the wok and dry on kitchen paper.
- Drain wok and clean for the next stage.
- Reheat the wok and add 1 tbsp oil, then add the dried chillies (do not allow to burn). When chillies are brown, remove and discard.
- Add carrots and then the celery. Stir fry for a minute and then add the crispy beef.
- Gradually add the sauce (stir well first) and coat the ingredients in the wok.
- Stir-fry quickly and remove to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with ground Szechuan peppercorns and sesame oil and serve immediately.